Juggling Health & Career
November 4, 2019
Making Your Health a Priority
Agency life is fast-past, deadline-driven, and subject to peak staffing demands and somehow you feel in charge of it all. Whether you are part of a corporate marketing team or assisting one, the mounting pressure can cause marketing professionals to sacrifice their health to get the job done. Putting yourself last on the list is a trait traditionally associated with women, but today we realize that many people take on the role of caregiver at work and in their family. To ensure that we are all still here to help those around us succeed we must first acknowledge the existence of self-care and then learn how to accomplish it.
The Many Faces of Self-Care
- Self-Preservation: advocate for yourself and teach others how you wish to be treated.
- Self-Management: be accountable for outcomes in life. Always seek a lesson to grow from experiences good or bad.
- Self-Reliance: avoid depending on others to support your future. Devise a plan for social and financial independence.
- Self-Governance: listen to your conscience and trust your instincts. Resist lowering your standards.
- Self-Love: accept yourself as you are and know that others will follow your lead.
The list is vast and should be customized to represent the unique circumstances in your life. Confidently setting standards for your best life will enable you to set priorities and boundaries as your personal life and work compete for time. Once you distinguish all of the facets to self-care try these strategies to make it work for you.
Sure-Fire Plan for Self-Care
- Separate a demanding career from personal commitments by scheduling both in the same calendar.
- Create a master schedule for the entire family to ensure equity in domestic responsibilities.
- Expand your dependent care network to include extended family, trusted friends, and professional caregivers.
- Automate routine processes with online ordering, delivery options and other concierge services.
- Listen to your body and put your health and well-being above all other obligations.
Being strategic with self-care is as natural as organizing a plan to meet deliverables at work. Tools to manage a hectic lifestyle are abundant, so take full advantage of them. For personal well-being, I begin each day with Hal Elrod’s ‘The Miracle Morning’™ a Mindfulness practice. His daily practice of Life S.A.V.E.R.S™, integrates the physical, intellectual, emotional, and spiritual benefits of Silence, Affirmations, Visualization, Exercise, Reading, and Scribing. I highly recommend this practice to promote an extraordinary level of discipline, clarity, and personal development for all my busy marketing colleagues.