The Junior Controller will be a “roll up your sleeves” numbers wiz to lead the daily payables, receivables, transactions, and payroll to clarify, support, and optimize our financial standing as we lean into our vision. Ultimately, you will own the numbers related to our financial transactions’ accuracy and timely reporting, including payroll.
As our Junior Controller, we expect you to be a self-starter, proactive in every way. You will be an “in-the-weeds” daily accounting practitioner and an essential contributor to our success. You’ll possess a keen intellect and critical eye to set and implement financial strategies to manage and grow the business’s profitability. The successful candidate displays small business administration expertise and business savvy, coupled with strong communication, leadership, and analytical skills. You’ll ask smart questions, take risks, and champion new ideas. While overseeing multiple functions, you will be responsible for executing the policies, processes, and procedures that promote a sound administrative and financial strategy. The Junior Controller possesses advanced Excel skills and the ability to master our project management software for bookkeeping, evaluate the operation’s effectiveness, and identify opportunities for improvement in the workflow for staff utilization and expense management.
You will ultimately have one responsibility: accurately record day-to-day financial transactions of our company.
Objectives of this Role
- Recording and Reporting: Proactively own the posting and processing of daily financial transactions, including sales, purchases, and refunds, as well as verify accuracy of all transactions using the software package Workamajig – quickly recognizing and “figuring out” all discrepancies. Regularly provide reports reflecting balanced, thoroughly reviewed, accurate, and up-to-date financials.
- Details and Resourcefulness: Possess an eagerness to figure things out … and be able to explain it. A quick study with an ability to learn new applications, software, tools, features, and various applications.
- Collaborate with Xavier’s strategic finance partner (outsourced) to ensure critical delineations of responsibilities are understood and consistent messaging on company finances is achieved.
Daily and Monthly Responsibilities
- Prioritize work and resources across functions based on short- and long-term needs, establish priorities, and collaborate with leadership team peers.
- Create reports and presentations that help our CEO and Leadership Team understand and achieve company health, business, and growth objectives.
- Provide weekly data on any open projects such as budget, actuals, variance, and estimated costs remaining to the team responsible for that project workflow.
- Collaborate with the payroll group to ensure that all deductions and payroll activities are compliant with payroll laws.
- Oversee all activities related to state and federal tax compliance issues.
- Assist the Leadership Team in crafting statements of work for customers using a templatized approach. Ensure pre-project profitability considers bill rates, labor, and out-of-pocket or project expense.
- Ensure appropriate financial methodology is 100% documented, identified, and consistently followed throughout the organization.
- Perform general accounting duties for the organization, including but not limited to maintaining the general ledger, coding invoices, setting up new accounts, account reconciliation, and monthly closeout.
- Provide outside auditors with assistance; gather necessary account information and documents.
- Define and implement key performance indicators and strategic objectives for the division and, as appropriate, the entire organization; facilitate measurement of those objectives, reporting results to the executive team.
- Perform other duties as required.
Skills and Qualifications
- 5+ years of small business bookkeeping experience within a marketing agency or organization
- BS required in finance, operations, or accounting
- Expert computing skills include Workamajig, QuickBooks, MS Office Professional tools, or equivalent software
- Proactive. Proactive.
- Personable and direct; Responsive and flexible
- Works well remotely, self-paced, and self-managed yet accountable for results
- Experience with learning new software and creating internal procedures
- Thorough knowledge of accounting and financial procedures
- Experience and understanding of accounting software
- Knowledge of iOS as well as Google, Apple, and MS Excel
- High integrity, with a sense of humor, and doesn’t take themselves too seriously
- Invests in fully getting to know our story, company, people, and industry