Medical Explainer Videos Answer: “How Does That Thing Work Again?” (and Other Burning Questions)
October 24, 2017
Dear House Rules,
Our company manufactures a new device in the cardiac space. Clinicians understand how to use it, but patients seem extremely confused. How can we explain the device placement procedure and its future benefits in an easy-to-understand way??They say a picture is worth a thousand words – how about a lot of them? I’ve heard a lot about “explainer videos” – what are they?
Want to show and tell
Dear Show and Tell:
Your instinct is absolutely correct – patients do learn complex medical concepts more easily when they are accompanied by helpful pictures, animations, and videos. It’s no wonder that medical explainer videos can be so helpful, given that the average length of a patient-doctor visit is just ten minutes. (1)
This is also a time when patient satisfaction scores play a huge role in how physicians and professionals in the medical industry are rated. In light of that, it’s vital that they ensure their patients and clients are well-informed and educated regarding treatments, devices and procedures. Patient satisfaction is a major component in determining pay-for-performance metrics, so it’s imperative that patient-physician communication is improved both from a financial as well as humanistic perspective. Currently, that’s not always the case.
According to a study published in the Official Journal of the Society for Academic Emergency Medicine (AEM), many patients who are discharged from the emergency department have a hard time understanding post-treatment care including medication, home care and follow-up instructions.(1)
To cite just one example, in the study “Hospitalized Patients’ Understanding of Their Plan of Care,” published by the Mayo Foundation for Medical Education and Research, it was?found that 32% of patients did not know when they would be discharged. (1) Other research even found that up to 60% of surgical patients did not fully understand their procedure. (1)
One of the most effective ways to improve patient-physician communication is by utilizing explainer videos, which sound like a perfect fit for your medical device promotion needs as well.
What makes explainer videos right for your company?
- They can clearly communicate a procedure, device, or other complex idea in an approachable way
- Explainer videos are easy to understand and are suitable for all audiences, regardless of age
- Patients generally find it easier to identify with a video – either animated or live-action – than with a brochure or pamphlet
- Explainer videos may convey a greater sense of importance to the patient, causing a higher level of engagement than paper materials (which may be inadvertently discarded)
- These type of videos convey empathy and can connect with patients on an emotional level
- By using a combination of imagery, diagrams, animation, and live action, explainer videos are ideal for educational purposes
Xavier Creative House has extensive experience with writing scripts for, developing art for, and storyboarding medical device and procedure explainer videos, and partners with several acclaimed video houses to handle back-end production in a timely manner. We will, of course, tailor our efforts specifically to your company’s marketing message, audience, and CTA. Give us a call or shoot us an email today!
References: 1. http://www.revolution-productions.com/using-web-videos-in-the-medical-industry/. Accessed October 17, 2017.